Monday, March 7, 2011

Siesta Scripture Memory Team 2011!

Hola friends!  I thought I'd share something that's making my year this year!  I have joined up with over 5,000 women (siestas, to be exact) + Beth Moore to commit to memorizing 2 Scripture verses a month for the year of 2011.   Together, we form the Siesta Scripture Memory Team (or SSMT)!  The inaugural SSMT was back in 2009--the same year that Bobby and I got married--and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience then, too.  But, there's something extra special about this year...

This year, I have been thirsting for the Scriptures like never before.  We begin our new verses on the 1st and 15th of every month, and, I have found myself eagerly anticipating those days.  I often flip through my calendar to see how much longer I have to wait until I get to start my next verse.  If that sounds crazy to you, let me explain.  I haven't always been so excited to memorize Scripture.  Even though I am able to memorize easily, I have often been lazy about actually doing it when left to my own devices.  (That's the wonderful thing about having the accountability of the SSMT!)

But, I think the difference this year is that I have chosen verses that my soul desperately needs.  As a result, the practice of memorization has become more than just a spiritual exercise.  It has become the active pursuit of the renewal of my mind that Paul talks about.  (Romans 12:2)  As I have said my verses over and over again over the last two months, they have renewed my hope and even given me life more abundantly.  I can totally understand what the Psalmist meant when he said, "Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors."  The verses I have been memorizing this year have been just that - counselors to me.

Another reason this year's SSMT is even more special to me is because my mom is doing it with me this time! We have practiced saying our verses to each other over the phone, and that has added so much to the experience.

Finally, two other additions make this year's SSMT extra fun:

1. Beth & the wonderful staff at LPM put together these precious spirals for the siestas this year:



2. Beth & the staff at LPM also made an iPod app just for the SSMT!  Yes, there's an app for that!  I mean, how cool is that?!

So, I thought I would take this opportunity to share my first 5 verses of the year.  I will do my best to write them by memory!   My commentary on why I chose the verses is in blue.

Verse #1 - January 1, 2011

"To all perfection I see a limit; but your commands are boundless."  
Psalm 119:96 (NIV)

I chose this verse to help tear down the stronghold of perfectionism in my life.  There is nothing like the ability of the sword of the Spirit to demolish strongholds! (Ephesians 6:17; 2 Corinthians 10:4)

Verse # 2 - January 15, 2011

"It is the bridegroom who marries the bride, and the best man is simply glad to stand with him and hear his vows.  Therefore, I am filled with joy at his success.  He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less."  
John 3:29-30 (NLT)

This one is a little bit harder to explain.  Over the last few years I have been wrestling with my calling.  As I look around at other people who seem to be so sure of God's plan for their lives, I have struggled not to feel jealous.  This verse is a reminder that, as the body of Christ, we are ALL working together toward the same goal - the glorification of Jesus Christ (our bridegroom).  We should rejoice at the success of other Christians because their success is our success!!  

Verse # 3 - February 1, 2011

"Roll your works upon the Lord [commit and trust them wholly to him; He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to his will, and] so shall your plans be established and succeed." Proverbs 16:3 (AMP)

I chose this verse to remind me that, as I seek God's will for my life, it is God who causes my thoughts to become agreeable to His will!!  

Verse # 4 - February 15, 2011

"[She] did not waver in unbelief at God's promise, but was strengthened in [her] faith and gave glory to God, because [she] was fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform."  
Romans 4:20-21 (HCSB)

This one speaks for itself!!  Speaking of demolishing strongholds, this verse is everything to me as I seek victory over the stronghold of unbelief.


Verse # 5 - March 1, 2001
[*current verse*]

"When You, God, went out before your people; 
when you marched through the wilderness, 
the earth shook, the heavens poured down rain, 
before God, the One of Sinai,
before God, the God of Israel.
You gave abundant showers, O God;
You refreshed your weary inheritance.
Your people settled in it,
And from your bounty, God,
You provided for the poor.

The Lord announces the word, 
and the women who proclaim it are a mighty throng." 
Psalm 68:7-11

"March on, my soul; be strong." 
Judges 5:21b

Beth suggested these verses for the month of March due to their theme of marching.  They spoke to me so deeply that I decided to memorize them this month instead of the other verse that I had chosen.  This current season of my life has been a "wilderness" season.  To know that God, the One of Sinai, is marching out BEFORE me is a huge word to me!  The second verse helps me remember that, instead of plopping down in the wilderness and wishing I were back in Egypt, I have to KEEP MARCHING!  My promised land is just around the corner!! 

I'll check back in around the 15th to share my next verse!  



No comments:

Post a Comment