Sunday, January 17, 2010

While We're Waiting

In my short tenure on this earth, I have found that the Christian life, like time itself, is marked by seasons. Solomon affirms this truth in the book of Ecclesiastes: "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven." (Ecc. 3: 1, NLT) During the past several months, Bobby and I have found ourselves in a season of waiting. While we have experienced countless emotions since we tied the knot in May (mostly the sweet contentment of marital bliss), we, nevertheless, have spent most of our time in "the waiting room." Waiting on a job...waiting on God...

Long before the wedding, Bobby began looking for full-time employment in North Carolina so that he could join me as I finish my last year of law school. Despite Bobby's tireless efforts to network and submit applications, still no full-time employment opportunities have come to fruition. So, we keep on waiting.

For several months, I wrestled with God, asking him, "Why?" I thought it must be me. I thought maybe if I prayed harder, God would provide Bobby with a job. I thought maybe if I tried harder to please God--did my quiet time more, resisted my flesh more--maybe God would come through for us. But, finally, I realized that I was projecting man's logic onto God. A currency-based relationship with God. "I'll do x for you, God, if you do y for me." "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." Praise God, that is not how He operates! Our God is a God of abundant mercy and grace!

As my perspective changed and I became more at peace in this season of waiting (to be sure, I still have my days), I prayed that God would help us discern what he desires to teach us through this season. Because God desires our sanctification and his Holy Spirit always works in us to that end, we can be sure that any season in our lives is purposed by God to teach us and refine us. Whether we receive his teaching, however, is up to us! Bobby and I still can't see God's end goal in this time of waiting. Even so, we can already see some of the good that has come out of this season. Without further adieu, here are some of the lessons that Bobby and I have learned while we're waiting! (Some are less serious than others. Special thanks to Bobby for helping me compile the list.)
  1. God's sense of timing is different than our sense of timing! 2 Peter 3:8-9a says, "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise..."
  2. The customary American business practice of sending invoices when a payment is due does not apply to COBRA insurance. Pay your bill on time, regardless of whether you receive an invoice, or they WILL cancel your converage. We learned this the hard way!
  3. God's ways are higher than our ways! (Isaiah 55:8-9) No matter how hard we try, or how badly we want something to happen, if it's not in God's plan, it will not come to pass. Yet, "...God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." (Rom. 8:28, NLT)
And, last but not least, number 4: God always provides ENOUGH for us! A few days ago, the passage of the day in my new devotional was Exodus 16. What a providential reminder of God's presence amidst our season of waiting! Exodus 16 recounts the first time God provided manna to the Israelites. Like Bobby and me, the Israelites were in a season of waiting. Delivered out of Egypt by God, the Israelites were waiting for God to lead them into the promised land. And, they had become weary of the wait! Like we often do, they began complaining to God. Yet, in his great mercy (despite their ungratefulness), God rained down manna and quail to sustain them in the desert. The manna fulfilled three purposes: 1) It provided the Israelites with physical sustenance (i.e. food!) in the desert; 2) it served as a sign of God's faithfulness to them during the wait; and, 3) it forced them to depend on God to meet their needs. (Ex. 16:6-8)

But, here's what stood out to me as I reread Exodus 16 - the manna God provided was always enough. No matter how much manna each person gathered, they all had exactly what they needed! (Ex. 16:18, The Message) During our own season of waiting, God has been just as faithful to us as he was to the Israelites! God has never failed to provide enough for us! If there ever comes a day when Bobby and I are more financially solvent than today, my prayer is that we will continue to depend on God with the same desperation we have known in this season.

1 comment:

  1. Dear one,
    Your reflections are pearls and make it very clear to a mother's heart why God has blessed you two with this time of waiting. I thank Him for the time you have been given to cherish one another without the pressure of heavy work world demands, for the time to serve one another, and for the time to become one. I thank Him that you have become one in devotion to Him, one in trust for His provision, and one seeking His vision. You both teach me. (Didn't young Jewish couples have such a time?)
    Missy, God surely makes certain His words are heard. Our CBS opening Wednesday was a beautifully composed rendering of the Eccl. passage sung by MA for the conclusion of our study of Abraham's life of faithful waiting.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete