Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Still standing!

Song of the Week: "Shadow Feet" by Brooke Fraser

Portrait of a woman with her arms spread out

It was only a matter of time before I mentioned it. The pink elephant in the room of my existence . . .

Law school.

Did I mention I'm a 3L? The past two and a half years of law school have been a lot of things--exciting, challenging, tiring, and interesting--to name a few. I have made some of my most dear friends in law school, and I have enjoyed (for the second time) the rigorous atmosphere of Work, I mean, Wake Forest.

If you've ever thought about going to law school or known someone that has, you've probably heard the old saying that corresponds to the 3 years of law school: "First year, they scare you to death. Second year, they work you to death. And, third year they bore you to death." The mere fact that there are people still alive to tell the tale means they don't do anything unto death, but you get the picture. For the most part, though, the old adage has some truth to it.

As I mentioned last week, there's a soundtrack for every season of my life. The song of the week this week was not just on the soundtrack from my 2L year. I would go so far as to say that it was the anthem of my 2L year. Despite the fact that I have mercifully progressed into the boredom of 3L year, I could not miss the opportunity to share the song that got me through most of the days last year.

So, without further adieu, the song of the week is: "Shadow Feet" by Brooke Fraser. (Click here to read the lyrics, and here to watch a really awesome music video of the song.)

If I had to pick an adjective to describe my 2L year, it would be overwhelming. (I might add that two other "ing" words, namely planning + wedding, contributed to my stress level last year.) But, the majority of my stress came from school. Never had I felt more like I was constantly treading water only to sink lower and lower beneath the surface.

The words of Brooke's song gave me the strength I needed to keep treading. I claimed the words of her song nearly every day. Here's how the chorus goes:

"When the world has fallen out from under me,
I'll be found in you, still standing.
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees,
When time and space are through,
I'll be found in you!

Though I'd love to sit down and unpack all of the eschatalogical implications of this chorus, it was the daily promise of the song that meant the most to me last year. Brooke's song taught me this lesson: Just because the world around us is crumbling (or so we think) and just because all of the balls we've been juggling come crashing down around us does NOT mean that we have to fall too.

"I'll be found in you, STILL STANDING!"

As I ponder the words of this song, I cannot help but think about Luke's account of the death of Stephen in Acts 7. Stephen was one of the first seven deacons chosen by Jesus' disciples to minister to the widows and the sick. The Bible says that he was "a man full of God's grace and power." (Acts 6:8, NIV) Stephen is also known as the first martyr for the Christian faith.

What's most amazing to me about Stephen's death is what he said right before he was stoned to death by the angry mob. "Look, I see heaven open and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God." (Acts 7:55-56, NIV) The cool part is this -- normally, Jesus is pictured seated at the right hand of God. (e.g. Ps. 110:1; Col. 3:1; Heb. 1:3), but Scripture tells us that Jesus STOOD while Stephen suffered death on account of his faith.

I don't mean to compare my law school frustrations to Stephen's martyrdom (or the serious tribulations that a lot of people around me are facing right now.) Nevertheless, when I reflect on Luke's account of Stephen's death, I cannot help but cherish the image of Christ Jesus standing while his follower suffered intense tribulation for the sake of His Name! Whether Jesus stands when we face less trivial tribulation or whether he remains seated is really unimportant. No matter what the tribulation, "it is God who enables us . . . to stand firm for Christ." (2 Cor. 1:21, NLT)

Even though it's not my song of the week this week, I cannot resist closing with the words of the song "The Stand" by Hillsong United.

You stood before creation
Eternity within Your hand
You spoke the earth into motion
My soul now to stand

You stood before my failure
Carried the Cross for my shame
My sin weighed upon Your shoulders
My soul now to stand

So what can I say
What can I do
But offer this heart O God
Completely to you

So I'll walk upon salvation
Your Spirit alive in me
This life to declare Your promise
My soul now to stand

So what can I say
What can I do
But offer this heart O God
Completely to you

So I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all

So I'll stand
My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours.


Here's the video for "Shadowfeet":




No copyright infringement intended.

1 comment:

  1. Missy,

    Thank you for this image of Jesus standing for His own Stephen when he suffered. It is a reminder that remains with the heart and head of the compassion of Jesus for His own any time we hurt, but most especially when we have to suffer for lifting His name. This week Dan and Joan shared just such a prayer request for one of their friends. We are so blessed to lift our praise and petition to Him freely. Thank you for reminding us of our blessings.

    Love the words from Hillsong! Copied them to put at the office.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete